Saturday, February 5, 2011

River Swimming - An Introduction


Its amazing what bad experiences can teach you.  As I made my approach into my last stretch of the river that day several things raced through my head.  I have already pointed out the first 5 critical errors of the day and what I would do next certainly added to that list.

Time slows down in those moments but never stops completely.  I remember quickly analyzing the size of the branches, then the amount of the tree in the water. Suddenly the door pushed open to the trouble approaching.  With only feet to go my best attempt seemed to be inside the boat protected from the branches.

In a little vessel any move creates a response in stability...as I slunk into the lower reaches of the bow my actions were no exception.  Still not being completely inside and now knowing that doing this would be almost impossible I left myself no time for the coming branches.

As sticks lift out of the water all kinds of things may be attached to them.  Leaves, moss or small creations seem to be common.  I only mention that here because one of these I'm sure was my final undoing.  As something wet, cold and slimy rubbed my cheek I perched to the left throwing the boat in the same direction.  Well implanted in the trees at this point the continued forward motion was all that it took.

I think I only half touched down the first time, the coldness of the water I'm sure was plenty to motivate me strongly in the opposite direction.  This was short lived with the new found weight of the boat and a second time I lisped to the left.  Without a sound I entered the water, not from bravery mind you but from the icy temperature of the water now holding me hostage.  I was directly behind my boat which was still floating above water.

With all attention focused on the tree limb a second failed observation was the dramatically decreased width and sudden increased in speed the water made in parallel with the branch.  As I struggled to understand my new surroundings the reality of the situation was only beginning to set in.  With a swift kick of the leg however my reality was set, rocks, big submerged boulders somewhere under the waters surface had just rudely introduced themselves to my leg.

In that moment I was suddenly calm...okay not calm but by no means willing to take another rock from my movements.  The next few feet drifted along slowly and at one point I tried to sit atop my kayak, which pushed it under the water completely, slowing it down as it hovered just under the surface. I know knew what had to be done and cautiously I put the first foot down.  One hand on the boat and one swinging side to side in the water in front of my like a snake.

Arriving at the right bank was not the complete satisfaction I was looking for at that point.  The shoulder cuts abruptly upward to a bike trail on that side.  With no where to stand and now shaking with cold I try several times to pull the boat up the bank and out of the water.  Again and again I try growing colder and colder with each attempt.



With just enough of the boat out to keep it from floating away I turn attention to my clothes quickly becoming stiff with frost.  First the hoodie, then the jeans until only the under layers are displayed to the world.  Being a popular bike trail I have gained an audience.  It was the teenagers in the group that finally helped me drain the boat and pull it up on the trail.

Walking is an alright way to get or stay warm, it's not great - just alright.  It's also surprising how survival trumps all other things, including new purchases.  I think it was my girlfriends expression when I finally walked into the take out area that I remember the most.  This may be because our relationship was still at one of those new places and maybe I hadn't seen disappointment yet.  She will deny it, but if I was okay weren't her first words.

No comments:

Post a Comment